God save the King and the Pâté-Croûte!
It is no longer strictly reserved for purely French gourmets. This event showcases its international influence, with qualifying tests in Asia, America, Polynesia, Scandinavia and Europe.
The very 1st UK semi-final has been held on Thursday September 28 at the French Ambassdor's Residence of London from 5pm - 9pm.
Please meet the 8 selected candidates who competed during the semi final to represent the UK at the Pâté Croûte World Championship:
- Mr Pascal EVEN, Chef owner at Gazette
- Mr Michael KWAN, Executive Pastry Chef at The Dorchester Hotel
- Mr Sylvain SOULARD, Chef owner at Pique Nique
- Mr John BARBER, Head Chef at Auberge du Lac, Brocket Hall
- Mr George JEPHSON, Chef owner of Meat Fish Cheese London
- Mrs Nokx MAJOZI, Head pie maker at Pie Room – Rosewood Hotel
- Mr Josh WHITEHEAD, Head Chef at Kino
- Mr Maxime ALARY, Chef owner at Blanchette
Contestants provided 2 meat base Pâté-croûte for a blind tasting among a jury panel of prestigious Cooking and Pastry Chefs, Baker, Foodies and key people of the Hospitality and Culinary industry.
The winner is qualified for the 2023 World Championship of Pâté en Croûte (Championnat de Monde de Pâté-Croûte) taking place on Monday 4th of December in Lyon, France.
Discover the 8 contestants UK Semi-Final 2023 creations:
The Judges panel of the UK Semi Final 2023 :
- Michel ESCOFFIER - Honorary President
- Mark FLANAGAN, LVO - Royal Chef and Assistant to the Master of the Household at The Royal Household
- Calum FRANKLIN - Chef and author
- Benoit BLIN, MCA - Executive Pastry Chef at Le Manoir aux Quat'Saisons
- Loic DEUFF - Head Chef baker at St George and best baguette in the UK 2023
- Gilles et Nicolas VEROT - Artisans Charcutiers at Maison Verot
- Jez PHILLIPS and Ieuan HARRY - The Pizza Boys (BBC)
- Christophe MARGUIN – Chef at Le President in Lyon and member of Confrérie du Pâté-croûte
- Gilles DEMANGE – member of Confrérie du Pâté-croûte
Sponsors and guests jury:
- Hervé STREIFER - SVP Global Procurement Food Metro
- Franck ARNOLD - Managing Director & Regional Vice-President of the Savoy Hotel London
- Stephen CARTER - Executive Chef at Boodles
- Hayden GROVES – Bonemasters UK Consultant Chef
- Martin CHAMPAGNE – Head of Europe at Chapoutier wines
- Pierre COUTURIER – Managing Director at Bobosse charcuterie
- Adrien DUBOEUF-LACOMBE – Deputy Director at Les Vins Georges Duboeuf
- Paul-Antoine MERLE – Founder and CEO at Pam - Holdings